Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Football: Where is the fun?

I remember back when playing any game was fun. If you did well you could jump up and down and high five your teammates. Even maybe say a smart little comment to the other team about their ability to play. When did this change? In fact the whole idea of sports is fun and enjoyment, having a good time. I am talking in particular about football. I grew up watching a little football my dad was a Nebraska Cornhusker fan but not really any NFL games with the exception of the super bowl. As children we played football or similar games as often as we could or at least until one of our moms kicked us out of the house. I am sure our moms can remember that and miss all the broken stuff, though it did give her a reason to buy new stuff right? During my high school days I shunned football and embraced hockey a much more violent sport thereby making it more fun. I can't even imagine playing hockey and not being able to celebrate or talk trash it would ruin the sport.

I really came into football when I started going to college in Minnesota and of course the Vikings became my team. Through out the years I have really learned to love the game. There is nothing better than seeing some receiver catch a 70 yard pass and run in for a touchdown. You jump off the couch and yell and scream chug a beer whatever you do when you see an awesome play. What is he allowed to do? One little celebration for only a few seconds facing only one way with only one other player near him. What the hell is that? People need to be able to celebrate in fact I expect it at the end of an awesome play! It is hard for a fan to get excited when the player the love makes a touchdown and just pats himself on the back and leaves the field. I want to see him jumping up and down with excitement humping the football and thanking God all at once. That gets the fans in to the game.

Think about it, which one of these scenarios makes you more excited?

Your favorite player tears down the field breaking tackle after tackle and makes a 80 touchdown. Would you be more excited if?

A. As soon as he got to the end zone he drops the ball smiles and waves at all the fans. Maybe has a friend run up and pat him on the butt. Then he quietly walks off the field.

B. As soon as he high steps into the end zone. He looks up at all the fans smiles holds the football up to his lips like a cigar. Then as soon as his team gets around him cheering and happy they all circle up he pretends to pull a pin out of the ball like a grenade and throws it to the ground and all the players pretend to blow up and fall down. He then runs along the sidelines giving a high five to members of the crowd on the way back to his sideline.

I think we all know what we would choose. It riles up and the players up, it gives people that little extra high they need to play better and give it their all. Celebrations shouldn't be condemned they should be required. If you can't take the other team’s celebration and think it is taunted then suck it up and don't play or answer back with your own.

One solution for this would be for all NFL teams to keep a little money on the side ready for fines like that. Therefore encouraging players to celebrate and help them pay the fines. I would love to see this happen. If I owned a team that is what I would do.

All this is in answer the $10,000 fine that Randy Moss got for his fake, yes fake mooning of packer fans. This is an outrage that a little thing like that would get so much attention and a fine. When things like this are the headlines you know the news has nothing better to talk about. I think we all deserve freedom of expression during sporting events. If you are looking at things that are not okay please take a look at the fat, hairy, shirtless fans in the crowd. Fine them I find them offensive to look at, where is the censorship there?

Deez

1 Comments:

At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Say it with me: "punctuation."
-KC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home