Rant -Women should not read this if easily offended
I understand that relationships are give and take; a cooperation between two loving individuals. In a good relationship you have a few main things:1. Your happiness and goals
2. Your partner’s happiness and goals
3. Your goals as a couple
You will notice that I didn’t list happiness under the couple. That is because I believe that if both of you are happy with your life then you will be happy in your relationship. Now I know some couples who are willing to sacrifice something for their partners. I am not sure that is the best kind of relationship. Is it more important to change your goals to make the other person happier or is it rude to expect your partner to change for you? It is your duty to help them become a better person not to change them.
Relationships exist to help one become better person. According to Aristotle’s “Human Function Argument” we have 3 different types of friends: friends of pleasure, friends of utility, and friends of character. Friends of pleasure are casual friends such as drinking buddies, friends of utility are business acquaintances, and friends of character are friends who help you become a better person; this is also called a perfect relationship. You only have a few of these in your life. For most of us it is our significant other. Aristotle states that each person in a perfect friendship and are equals in virtue and goodness and through their actions and advice they make each other better.
Where is this attitude when I want to do something that will make me happy? Am I not allowed to spend my hard earned money on something that I will enjoy? My money is mine; it is bad enough that I see so little of it. I am not sure what country we live in but I am sure the words democracy and freedom are part of the description.
It is at this point I will concede that viewpoints considering certain uses for money and time will differ. Some couples will tend to agree on everything and others will argue about every little thing. This is where you have to sit back and take a look at things from an outsider’s perspective. Is there any reason to argue about this? Are there not other things that I could be doing with my time? Is this going to hurt me in any way? It is with this perspective that people can come to an agreement that will allow them to agree to disagree and that it is pointless to discuss these points any farther.
To this I say “I will be going to the KY wrestling and I will enjoy it. Even if it costs $15”
2 Comments:
I like to think that we all work towards a more perfect relationship by our actions... sometimes it takes more time.
I agree with compromise... but not with sacrifice. All people and all relationships are different though.
Post a Comment
<< Home